login   |    register
Dioramas: Flora & Fauna
Trees, shrubs, nature and animals.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The making of a tree
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Member Since: February 22, 2002
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:15 PM UTC
This post is kind of a 'just because'
I'm working on a diorama of a machine gun nest beside a tree in a hedge row. I'm working on the tree now.
I've taken a base stick from a branch out back. I've added a few more limbs using a pin vice and drilling holes. Using CA to glue the additional sticks in place. I used a bit of putty to smooth out the transition between some of the add on branches.
The finishing is Tamiya Dark Brown as a base. Some wash of dilute brown and water and some of black/brown/water. I will be adding a couple more layers of shadow color and then some highlights and then some pastels before I move to the foliage.
Foliage will be lichen with a spray of glue then parsley leave added on.

Any and all comments welcome:
Col_Kurtz
Visit this Community
United States
Member Since: January 06, 2003
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
looks really good
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Member Since: January 22, 2002
entire network: 293 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
That is the most awesome scale tree trunk I ever seen!!! It looks like a real shrunk tree!!! How are the branches holding?

God, I really miss modeling......

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Member Since: February 22, 2002
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:08 PM UTC
This is from a boxwood bush that died in my back yard. 80% of the limbs are natural. The other 20% I drilled holes with appropriately sized bit. I inserted another piece of the boxwood and glued it with CA. I added some squadron putty on a couple of them and smoothed it out so the transition is more natural.
The main add ons are the top left and back right and a couple of the small ones on the top right.

basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Member Since: July 19, 2002
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:08 PM UTC
Nice tree Slodder! When I first looked at the picture I really thought it was a real tree! Still trying to make myself believe that it is painted...........
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Member Since: December 30, 2002
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
Excellent, I have been searching my garden for realistic small size trees, but can't find anything with sufficient branches, this looks like the answer.

Thanks :-)

Roger
Belgian
Visit this Community
California, United States
Member Since: December 20, 2002
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:28 PM UTC
Looks more realistic then mine (http://groups.msn.com/armorama/belgiansstuff.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4298). I did mine "Jan Van der Cruysse-style"
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Member Since: February 22, 2002
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
Belgian
Thats a nice tree. Is it twisted wire (the roots look like it)? May I suggest two things - add more wire or putty to the base to widen the trunk and give it a larger base diameter. To give the bark more depth and texture add a few layers of varying shades of washes. Take some darker color brown (add black or darker brown to the base) dilute it and wash seams, joints, shady spots. Then lighten the color, I used dark yellow, added to the brown and wash highlights. You can also dry brush some dark yellow highlights after the washing.
Don't be timid with the variation in color. Very few trees are two colors or less.

You're tree looks good, add some leaves and you're set.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Member Since: October 24, 2002
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
Looks like a tree to me!! Good work, thanks for sharing it with us.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Member Since: May 22, 2002
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks more realistic then mine



Don't agree here Belgian....yours is a different type of tree....but it is just as realistic to me..... not al trees look alike you know.

Slodder,

Nice tree here mate. I would love to see the progress of that....please keep us posted !