login   |    register

135
M1A2 SEP Abrams - BOOM STICK

  • 02
  • 03
  • 05
  • 04
  • 07
  • 06

About the Author

About Jim Lewis (GunTruck)
FROM: CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES

I love American AFV's from all eras and researching Vietnam-era Gun Trucks and US Army Pentomic and Atomic Battlefield Ordnance from the 1950's through the 1960's. Avid Sci-Fi fan and modeler as well - Star Wars, Space:1999, and Star Trek are favorites. Owner/Master Miniaturist - GunTruck Studios....


Comments

Thanks for the compliments all! For the base, I masked the edges and painted a square with Tamiya Acrylic XF-1 Flat Black. I layed down a layer of white glue/water and then applied a thin coat of Arizona Rock and Mineral Company Cajun Sandstone. Railroaders know 'bout this stuff - it's my favorite brand. I let this setup a little while - and applied another thin sprinkle of the Cajun Sandstone - then flipping the base upside down to leave irregular patches. After the base dried overnight, I went back to apply a heavy wash of Raw Umber colored pastels using water in random spots. I wanted a type of "scorched earth" look that I see in reference book photos of the setting I wanted to model the tank in. The base is finally oversprayed with the top coat/weathering color used on the model to blend them together. Gunnie
NOV 10, 2005 - 01:05 PM
very nice..awesome job. one question..the CIPanels..do they have top side and bottom side when installing them on the side of the tanks? i glued my CIPs the other way around..like louvers on houses. thanks for sharing.
NOV 10, 2005 - 05:27 PM
Lovely M1A2, GunTruck! I've been watching its progress through your web site. I noticed a few errors in the in-progess stage but you did correct them. You fixed lot of the Italeri kit's shortcomings - I liked the way you created the bullet shaped blisters on the front of the tow cables, and the re-shaping of the vision block in the 12 o clock position of the ICWS, complete with weld marks, for example. Some things I did notice... - The mounting tab for the searchlight (on the mantlet above the main gun) is too low compared to photos of the actual Abrams (a flaw of the Italeri kit). - The grab handle on the left fender seems to be shaped more like a loop, rather than a bracket (unless it was also changed in the actual vehicle)? It's truly a superb work of art. One of the best Abrams kits I've ever seen. Oh, please update your web site with more detail photos of your work - they are proving most inspiring and helpful. BTW, I'm in progress in building and converting an Italeri M1A2 into a USMC M1A1HC. I'm also suffering from the same fit issues you encountered. I really hated the 3-pice hull and the rear panels. Again, magnificent job..! stainless - I've seen pictures of the CIPs mounted either way, so I guess upright or inverted should be fine? BT6
NOV 11, 2005 - 02:33 AM
Thank you for the compliment and comments Randy. I can't really vouch for the location of the searchlight mount - but I surmise it is likely too low indeed. What else didn't need "tweaking" on the Italeri kit? I won't go back and relocate that item on this model, but if I'm encouraged to revisit the Italeri kit again - I shall. For the left fender grab handle - I just modeled using the photos of the 'A2 I have in my collection. One day I'd like to visit several different Abrams to examine their fittings and smaller details. At this time, I'm feeling no two Abrams "look alike". If true, that would really be fun to model - like modeling the M4 Sherman Medium Tank. I'm working on an OIF M1A1D Abrams, with the research as challenging as it was for the 'A2 SEP. I also uploaded a couple of TM illustrations for the MCBS in the other thread that you asked for. I hope they help you out in in detailing your Abrams miniature. Gunnie
NOV 11, 2005 - 07:00 AM
Awesome work, Jim. A true masterpiece. Cheers Erik
NOV 11, 2005 - 07:12 AM
So you finally got it done huh? Great. I remember way back when (what a almost 2 years ago!) seeing you first starting it for the Abrams ID campaign. What I love about the model is that it looks like sand has been rippnig at it for some time. There is a sort of smooth roughness to it. And the base is enough to show off the model. Glad to see this COMPLETELY done! Be proud. How far are you into the M1A1D? I ask given DML's Abrams release soon. Jeff
NOV 11, 2005 - 07:29 AM
Thanks Jeff! It is very difficult to render a finish like that - and keep it in scale. Your sharp eyes make my efforts worthwhile! I'm still digging into researching the particular 'A1D I want to model and gathering technical references. No heavy cutting of plastic yet. I was debating whether or not to wait for the DML kit to hit the shelves or just press on with Tamiya's latest. If I can get a hold of a DML kit before I'm settled on the 'A1D I want to model - then that's the way I'll go. I want to start by Christmas... Gunnie
NOV 11, 2005 - 08:03 AM
Gunnie, Excellent job. I especially like the weathered look of the blades! Nice to see one of yours OD'd too. Cheers, Jim
NOV 13, 2005 - 05:46 AM
Hi Jim ...Nice work as always...Great weathering really puts this one over the top ! Congrats.. Rick
NOV 13, 2005 - 07:02 AM
Thanks guys! Gunnie
NOV 13, 2005 - 08:06 AM