login   |    register
Armor/AFV
For all military ground-force modelling subjects.
SAS/LRDG
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Member Since: December 02, 2002
entire network: 11,167 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 06:07 PM UTC
It's up to you

The diameter of the pictured coin is 18mm :



H.P.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2017 - 09:25 AM UTC
Appreciate the picture, I have started on something that will look a bit better than the kit part.
Of course as soon as I did that I found the missing part. Turns out Tamiya numbered a part in the instructions wrong...



... and I had installed the sun compass where the fuel filler pipe should have gone. That,s fixed, but I will use my new compass.

Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 04:43 AM UTC
Chevy is being loaded up with equipment


as are the jeeps


Replacing the kit jerry cans, with mostly German ones from Academy


and ready to roll, but not quite


The bonnet mounted jerry cans are missing the straps that came moulded on the kit cans, so I made some buckles


Made a lot of them since I figured it wouldn't be perfect. Will make the straps out of paper or foil.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Member Since: July 12, 2006
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 12:04 PM UTC
It's been a long time since I last posted anything in Armorama.
That aside, it's good to see your WIP on the LRDG Jeeps and Chevy Pave-Hawk.
It's been a couple of years since I completed my last LRDG Chevrolet 1533x2, which is based on a photo of a fitter's truck "COCK O' THE NORTH" of Y2 (or Yeomanry) Patrol:



And this is the model:











Unfortunately, THE COCK O'THE NORTH sign is a bit too big on the model, because I couldn't find letters that were small enough.

The weapons are a combination of Ultracast resin SMLE Mk III Lee-Enfields, one of which has been converted to the EY Grenade Launcher rifle, a Thompson M1928 from Master Box Models MB3598 LRDG in North Africa ( Armorama LRDG review) while the .50 cal is Acadamy's version, with scratch-built sights and magazine rack.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:39 PM UTC
That is a nice looking chevy.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:44 AM UTC
One of my jeeps is done










Chevy is nearly done too, just need to do decals, including the new name since Tamiya gave two vehicle names for T patrol but none for R patrol.

The other jeep will take a bit longer as I eill need to do things a bit differently to avoid some of the mistakes from the first jeep. It will also be getting the kit crew figures.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:52 PM UTC
So i realise I missed some information in my process.

I made some straps for the buckles from thick aluminium foil from a baby formula tin



Jerry can brackets were made from scrap brass from my failed photoetch attempts



and then the jerry cans and straps were attached


Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
Member Since: May 05, 2006
entire network: 775 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:56 PM UTC
Since the kit doesn't come with names for R patrol vehicles, but has other markings for them, I printed up a new name, "ROTOWARO" on some white inkjet decal film:



The serial no for the vehicle was made up by cutting up the numbers from the provided serials and making my own, and some sixes became nines:



I did forget the spare tyres from my photos, but apart from that, the little stowage that's provided is here:




Straps for the canteens were also made from the same aluminium foil, just as narrow as I could manage.
Will probably need to sort some more stowage out once I finish the second jeep and start planning a diorama.