! The Steyr is one of my all-times favorites! Oddly enough, I never get around in building one, just because I couldn't decide what kit
. Watching with interest!UPDATE
Perhaps this update should be a stand-alone feature under the title of:Beware of "fake silvering"!
- I couldn't find a better term for it!
Here's the story:
I have applied as per my habit some "test decals" on the "peripherals": fuel tanks, bombs etc. - all good. I then started decaling the air frame, again, starting with the under-surfaces, just to make sure all goes smooth. And it was
going smooth until I reach to the fascias
on the upper wings. To my complete dismay, bewilderment and disappointment, as the Micro Sol
was drying slowly, that was the image it appeared:
It was perhaps the most spectacular case of silvering from my entire modelling career. I start fumbling for contingency "plan B" - robbing another kit of decals - and the victim would have been the Fiat CR-42
or contingency "plan C" - switch to German markings, which meant the applying of a third camouflage coat - sand. But the voices in my head kept repeating: "silvering not possible... silvering not possible..." because the surfaces were properly prepared, the decals were darn good and the Micro Gloss / Micro Set / Micro Sol
worked for me. With the panic slowly wearing off, I re-evaluate the problem, and I figured out that "the silvering" is not coming from the contact zone between the decals and the model, but from the matte surface of the decal! Following the updated diagnostic, I prescribed the recipe: Pledge
. I administered some Pledge
externally to the infected patient, and it started curing:
After a second application of "snake oil", there we go!
Wonders still happen! Guys, I realized only then how many times I missed the opportunity to achieve better decaling, especially with older Tamiya kits
! I still have my old BMW R-75
which I am ashamed to show it to anybody just because of that
From there on, everything else went "by the book":
After all decaling, I went on with a solid coat of Micro Gloss
again to seal the decals. The ones that appear too white now will receive a wash to blend them into the color scheme.
I still have to paint the exhaust stubs and to fiddle a bit with the landing gear "pants" and then I'm moving further to the satin coat and weathering.
P.S. I'm not sure I am fully recovered after the "scare"
Let's see how the "post traumatic shock" will affect me!