Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:24 PM GMT+7
Your 112 has come up very nice and colourful. I enjoyed your build log and took note of your warning about the decals. Cheers Phil.
Thank you very much for following and your feedback, Phil. The model is not completed yet. I have on video camera all the steps on this build and when is done editing a video will be embedded in the blog.
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:26 PM GMT+7
UPDATE: I managed to complete the building phase. I still have to do a couple touches with paint, especially on the landing struts. As expected, installing the landing gear assembly was a little fiddly and required modifications on both main struts and wheel covers. Because the entire assembly is so fragile, I'll let the glue set overnight before I start painting.
UPDATE: I applied subdued chipping and a very light oil wash to emphasize some detail. The photographs with Romanian Heinkels show them in rather pristine condition, so I didn't go wild with aluminum and grime. Please have a look:
Following step: satin clear coat. Please stay tuned!
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:43 PM GMT+7
Making the last steps on this build:
I applied subtle oil filtering:
For this result:
I have just a few steps remaining: - one more clear coat; - scratch-build a pilot tube; - add antenna wire; - add smoke effects and weathering with chalks; - polish the canopy (with the crazing in ) - call it done!
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:19 AM GMT+7
Hope You find a cure for the canopy!
Thank you, Oliver, for considerations. Unfortunately, the only cure I know is to break the canopy apart and to polish it from interior. And that is not going to happen, because it will be setting me back too much and I have other builds boosting the pressure . Besides, that was only a practice build - a test bed for my new airbrush. Yes, I feel uncomfortable with the result, but I have learnt my lesson, as always, on the hard way
Thanks much for stopping by and taking time for a comment. Cheers! Gabriel
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 01:06 PM GMT+7
After more than two hours decal session, I managed to get the things done. The decals are very thin and excess care is needed. They're setting very nicely just with water. The colors are good without unwanted transparency. Unfortunately, the Michael's Cross is a little off register. Hopefully the surrounding white will be less visible after weathering. Word of advice: don't keep the decals more than 30 seconds in water (room temperature, in my case = 30C), otherwise they have a tendency to curl and to stick to themselves. The stencils are particularly prone to tear. Note on stencils: they are in Romanian and actually can be read, so they cannot be used for the German variant of the aircraft. The colors are also slightly off, specially the blue, but I'm not going to dwell into it, because Michael's Cross is unmistakable and I don't think anybody can take it for Belgian.
Conclusion to this step: I'm glad I managed to completely avoid the looming disaster due decals' fragility. I'm pleased with the result. The model looks colorful and cheery, despite the grey overall scheme. A little bit too cheery for now, but the next steps will take care of it.
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 04:02 AM GMT+7
HURRICANE IRMA AFTERMATH:
Unfortunately my island was into direct path of hurricane Irma. Although my house survived miraculously almost intact, my whole neighborhood is trashed. It will take months to recover. Furthermore I have to put on hold this building until at least the electricity will be restored (estimated for January).
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 11:30 PM GMT+7
Thank you, Oliver.
I live in Sint Maarten (former belonging to Netherlands Antillen, now independent in within the Netherlands), the first island in the chain to be affected by Irma. Reconstruction started. There is still a lot of hardship, but the show goes on... I cannot wait to get back to my modelling desk.