login   |    register
On the Workbench
For your latest projects and builds.
Hosted by Mal Mayfield
A few kits on the go.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
#056
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
Member Since: September 30, 2002
entire network: 8,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 943 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:44 PM GMT+7
I have a few models closing in on the painting stages. First up painting the interior colour on the canopies.

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MkI


Airfix 1/48 Hurricane MkI



Airfix 1/48 BP DEfiant


Tamiya 1/48 Bf109E-3



Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-61


GazzaS
#424
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Member Since: April 23, 2015
entire network: 3,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:11 PM GMT+7
Nice looking work, Mal.
As a person always trying to improve on canopy results, I'm a bit curious about the blobs on each mask and panel.

Cheers,

Gaz
AussieReg
#007
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Member Since: June 09, 2009
entire network: 5,326 Posts
KitMaker Network: 516 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:58 PM GMT+7
Likewise, I'm curious Mal, and how about a pic or 2 of the Tiger?

Cheers, D
PeeDee
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
Member Since: September 03, 2011
entire network: 500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:19 PM GMT+7
Looking good Mal.

I will of course be following these


Paul.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
#056
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
Member Since: September 30, 2002
entire network: 8,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 943 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:47 PM GMT+7

Quoted Text

Nice looking work, Mal.
As a person always trying to improve on canopy results, I'm a bit curious about the blobs on each mask and panel.

Cheers,

Gaz

Likewise, I'm curious Mal, and how about a pic or 2 of the Tiger?

Cheers, D


I have masked the canopies using Parafilm M. The blobs are waste bits of Parafilm pressed onto the masking pieces to aid removal of the masking. Easy to get hold of and pulls up the masking when the time comes

I actually completely forgot about the Tiger and at least one other model. I'll post pics later
Bigskip
#035
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
Member Since: June 27, 2006
entire network: 2,449 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:28 AM GMT+7
You obviously "get on" with parafilm, any tips, it's never worked properly for me, i'm a tamiya tape kind of guy.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
#056
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
Member Since: September 30, 2002
entire network: 8,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 943 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:53 PM GMT+7
Yep I'll post a SBS, I find it to be the easiest way of masking canopies but you do need to understand a few things when using it
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
#056
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
Member Since: September 30, 2002
entire network: 8,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 943 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 06:47 PM GMT+7
Just starting with the painting.

I primer coat using white, then pre-shade using a "complimentary colour" to the camouflage. In the case of the 3 RAF aircraft, Spitfire, Hurricane and BP Defiant, I have used RLM 70 Blackgreen. For the Bf109 I have used RAF roundel blue, and dark earth, for the yellow nose areas.
I sort of cocked up the method when applying the under surface colour (Sky) on the RAF machines in that I should have gone over the RLM 70 pre-shading first, then paint along side it, before several coats that cover everything. The slight hiccup doesn't matter though as I painted over the RLM 70 second. The trick, for me anyway, is that when you think it is close to being the right amount of paint stop. Come back the following day and you will, more than likely, see that it wasn't quite enough so add more, carefully and stop and come back again, if necessary. The Bf109 was done in the same way but I remembered what I was supposed to be doing but, like I said, it didn't really make any difference
Just to explain a little more, after painting over the pre-shading then along side it spray a little wider covering both areas. The idea is to leave the white primer coat unpainted in the centre of panels so that when you apply the "blending coat" (wider pattern and overall coats), the darker pre-shaded areas get a bit more coverage and the lighter areas show through the paint to make those areas just a tad lighter. ISH!

BP Defiant:






Spitfire:








Hurricane:








Bf109E-3: