Ok - here we go!
I started this build a few weeks back, in a panic that it wouldn't be ready in time for the Tankmod show on 7 October. (Well worth coming, if you are near Bovington, England - it is held in the world-famous Tank Museum.) Over four days I did all the assembly, half of which was the lovely-but-tedious Hobbyboss indy-link plastic tracks. I had an edge, as the Italeri model was measured from the crumbly wreck at Aberdeen Proving Ground back in the '70s, and most of the "inaccuracies" of the kit are actually spot-on "accuracies" of the state it was in when they saw it! The only things I added were the tracks, a few welds on the hull, the rain gutter on the casement face, and the minor battle damage where somebody wasted ammo trying to penetrate the colossal front plate.
I painted it up in that odd "ghost" grey that they used in the later years of the 20th century - I think the idea was to "de-personalize" the tanks so they could be studied as mechanical devices without any political/historical baggage, but the effect is spooky. It seemed to have a red primer (red lead?) under the grey, so most of the red showing through isn't rust, but rather a pinky-coloured undercoat. I did my best to capture the look, first priming the kit in black, then a red primer Tamiya mix, and finally thinned Sky Grey. Weathering was done with various brands of acrylics to mix the red primer that I dry-brushed, along with washes of burnt umber and raw umber, as well as some Games Workshop Badab Black wash. THe base was made for an earlier APG build (a Panther), but was borrowed for the pics.
And finally, a close-up of the battle damage!
Sorry if I'm a bit excitable - it isn't often I actually manage to finish one! (Hope this makes up for dropping out of the Improvised Ingenuity campaign...)