Okay, more updates. So, to back up, I had to add the stanchions that are unique the Pennsylvania.
The 3D printing process printed the supports on the underside so no guess work.
In the image below you can see the stanchions in their correct place. As this assembly went together I was able to put clear acetate behind the bridge bulkheads to simulate the windows.
In this image you can see the flag bags. I used sheet plastic, eyelets and rod for the front and back. For the searchlights and signal lamps I had to raise them a bit by putting a shim of sheet plastic between the lamp and the deck.
In this image of the armored citadel, I used a periscope off the Arizona kit, PE Railings and some ladders for access to the top. I also used brass rod for future rigging attachment points, as there were antenna trunks, antenna wires and stays all in the same area.
In this image I added Tom's Modelworks doors to the already open access ports to the super structure.
Moving up the superstructure, I wanted to get the foretop and foremast finished to assemble it as one unit. By looking at the photo of the foretop taken from a distance, the modeler can clearly see the light configuration, the CAXM radar and the attachment for the line going to the jack staff.
Working from the top down I added the light mount, the line attachment bracket, an eyelet on the top for future rigging.
Using strip plastic I added some detail along the bottom of the top and ladder rungs.
TO give the PE lattice yard something to "grab" onto, I added these bits of sheet plastic, once painted they become invisible.
Whilst forming the lattice yard, I added a bit of cut PE for a hand rail on the top portion.
Here is a view of the completed top. For the light lenses I cut the tips off the bombs that are included in the Kingfisher kit. Prior to attaching and painting I added eyelets to the underside of the yard for the halyards to slide through.
I also added some spare PE to simulate the weather vane and the anemometers that graced the outer edges of the yards.
Here is the backside. As you can see the supports pretty much disappear when painted. I added eyelets to the foretop for stay attachments and ladder rungs to the backside. They are a trick to line up.
In this view you can see the machine gun platform to better affect.
Moving on to the gun directors on the air defense platform. I added brass railings to the sides by the doors, for an electrical box I used a chunk of plastic with a brass wire for the conduit and PE ladders. I also added an eyelet to the foreward top portion. I think it was an antenna.
I also added a chunk of plastic to the railing. I am not sure what it was on the real ship but probably a junction box of some sort.
Referring back to this image you can see the platforms and ladder arrangement on the foremast.
I tried to duplicate that with sheet plastic, PE ladders and bits and bobs of plastic.
I detailed the gun directors with a wash of AK washes for ships, and a fine point sharpie for the glazing on the directors.
For the 5-D I use Tamiya XF-24. For the light grey 5-L I used a mixture to match WEM Color Coats 5-L. The Lighting gives it a more greenish cast than it shows in person.
I also added bits of fine rod to simulate the conduit and piping attached to the legs.
Below is the completed superstructure/foremast assembly. For Rigging I used Model Kasten .06 stretch thread available from Sprue Brothers.
A word of caution here. I use Tamiya acrylics thinned with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) I had no idea of the long term affect this stuff has.
When I unpacked this in November after sitting in a warehouse since July this is what I saw:
I was upset:
The 3D printed plastic doesn't like MEK. So I gave it a wash with a brush thinned with laquer thinner and the crystals seemed to disappear.
I also had this to deal with:
I had used Gator GLue, a white glue designed for PE, well, it doesn't work if there is tension applied as in the case of the Lattice yards. So, off came all the rigging and clean up.
I used new Lattice yards that I got from a buddy and used tan EZ line. It isn't what I was looking for, but it shows up and the halyards were a tan color not black, so I am content with it and happy with the way it turned. The CAXM radar was just sitting on the top for affect, it survived intact. At this juncture I also added the yard arm safety netting. This is fine brass mesh cut to shape, given a wash of black and carefully glued with Testors Canopy Cement and placed into place.
The Next area I addressed was the cranes. The Pennsylvania cranes are totally different from Arizona. Haply, Steve Larsen designed a set for the Pennsylvania.
Below is a shot from Mare Island
and Pearl Harbor
When Compared to Arizona, the difference is dramatic: Compare to this photo of Arizona at Puget Sound in January 1941.
Using the Shapeways 3D printed cranes and parts off the Eudard PE for the Arizona, a Pennsylvania crane can be built. I added some eyelets for rigging and PE Ladders.
So Folks. That's it for now.
Enjoy and build.