Thanks Sean. Very close now.
I'll drop another hint today Si, although, it will be more of a resurrection than a new creation
Thanks everybody for not pointing my awful grammatical gaff, and understanding exactly what meant!
I will miss following this build
Do I get the feeling you may be watching out for icebergs on your next project.
It is a bit disappointing when you have to redo something, but I think the fix will look the business.
I am miss following this build when you finally commission him mate.
Quoted Text...I am miss following this build when you finally commission him mate.
Russ, I completely agree with Si! Be sure to post a LOT of pictures of this beauty when you finish!
...I am miss following this build when you finally commission him mate.
April 23, 1936 - Ship 'J' Heavy Cruiser - keel laid, Krupp Germania shipyard.
August 22, 1938 - Hull launched
August 1, 1940 - Prinz Eugen commissioned. Captain zur see Brinkmann commanding.
total construction period - 1562 days
January 19, 2014 - Russell Earmes begins work on Trumpeter's less than perfect 1/350 kit of Kriegsmarine heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen.
March 5, 2018 - Russ is almost there, just the ensign and maybe a bit of restrained weathering to be done.
construction time to date - 1507 days
Andy - who has been watching this build with great interest, and once lived in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (but has long since moved )
I'll join the chorus and encore on a great job on the rigging. It always makes a ship look complete.
I am looking forward to the flag hoisting. I shouldn't say it but it almost seems inevitable that the decal would fall apart given the trials and tribulations of this build.
Flags aren't actually all that difficult. To form the flags on my USS Olympia build, I applied the decals to either side of a piece of aluminum kitchen foil (the heavier-duty kind). When they were dry I trimmed the excess foil away, leaving a tiny decal/foil/decal sandwich. I then carefully formed the “waving in the wind” pattern of undulations on the flag with a round toothpick. It was then mounted to the brass wire flagstaff at the stern with Gator Glue. The exposed silver foil edges of the flag were touched up in place with red and blue paint, and since the flag decals were glossy I went over the ensign with a thin brushed-on coating of Testor’s Dullcote. This last bit was actually the trickiest part of the operation, since I discovered on my first attempt that the lacquer based Dullcote can melt the colors off delicate decals if applied too liberally! I got it right on the second try though.
Good luck with them - flags will be a perfect final touch to your beautiful Prinz Eugen!
Came across these yesterday doing a search for German aircraft catapult information. Please excuse if they are already common knowledge or if they have been posted earlier in this thread.