Got a lot of work done this weekend. Not sure if it will count as progress.
First, words of thanks to the F-16 modelers who have suggested using house paint to paint / smooth and finish the intake. I tried it and it worked well enough to consider using on the rest of the F-16 squadron in the stash. Any hints on masking the interior to get the Ďaluminumí finish on the leading edge of the intake are welcome.
I added some weight to the nose, but the molder doesnít suggest if any is needed. Iíll have to get a balance test started to see if I have enough weight before I close up the fuselage.
The landing gear was driving me a bit crazy. From my perspective, the gear struts were molded backwards and they were missing an attachment point for the actuator piston. The rectangular bosses that would mate with the oleo struts were on the back side of the struts. So, I cut off the mounting posts, drilled holes through the old locations and installed some rod stock thru the holes to the opposite side. I also drilled holes for the actuator strut mounting post that was missing and glued in more rod. If these gear donít go together and look a little like an F-16, itís all my fault now.
I had hoped to leave the landing gear parts on the sprue and spray them in one pass. Unfortunately the mold halves were slightly off set so I had to cut them free and clean up the misalignment. I ended up painting them by hand. Cleaned up the ejector pins on the doors while I was at it. Sadly, while the instructions show some nicely detailed LG doors, the molded parts are completely lacking in detail.
Now to the Ďbigí event. I managed to find where I packed my airbrush 3 years ago. So I cleaned up all the remaining white parts and got them ready to paint. Gathered up another orphan project that also needed some white paint. Iíve got a nice jar of Tamiya white that I thought would work well, unfortunately, Sunday evening is not a good time to locate the appropriate thinner for Tamiya acrylics. My first try with Testors acrylic thinner didnít produce globs of a paint like substance but neither did it produce anything that flowed through the airbrush either. A complete airbrush rebuild later, I noticed that I had a medium needle and a fine tip. I found the old fine needle and reassembled the brush and started over again Testors paint and thinner. That worked a lot better and I managed to use up nearly all of the paint I mixed.
Once I get some photos posted, itís onto getting ready to close it up and get closer to finished.